Cloth diapers are an excellent choice for the new age conscientious parents. In fact, Cloth Diapering has been mentioned as a key trend in millennial parenting by none other than Vogue. While a popular parenting choice abroad, Cloth Diapering is now coming into the limelight in India and for all the right reasons. With their chemical-free nature and eco-friendly qualities, these reusable nappies are certainly becoming a preferred choice for most parents. Not to mention the fact that they look super cool on baby bums! If you are exploring the option of Cloth Diapering for your baby, these are the few key points that should help you start. So, here are 5 basic things to know for you to start with Cloth Diapering – Superbottoms endeavors to take Cloth Diapering to all mothers of India. We continue to do our best to spread awareness about them from parents to pediatricians.
What are Advanced Cloth Diapers
Each advanced cloth diaper is made up of 3 parts
- Waterproof Outer – This provides the leak-proofing and sizing
- Soaker – These are the absorbent cloth pads that do the job of soaking. They are also called as cloth diaper inserts.
- Dry-Feel Fabric – These provide the essential dry-feel to the babies
TYPES OF DIAPERS
There are a few different types of diapers depending upon the pattern / functionality of the diaper.
- Cover Diapers The dry-feel layer in this diaper is attached ON the soaker. This soaker is placed inside the cover. This is a pad-and-pant system. In this, you can change soaker and reuse the outer. This makes it an economical diapering choice. One pad lasts 3-4 hours. This is a good and economical option for day-time diapering. Since each time a fresh pad comes in contact with your baby’s skin it is also good for baby’s skin
- All in One Diaper (Superbottoms Plus) – These are diapers wherein one soaker is stitched inside the outer itself making it easy to wear. This diaper comes with 2 super thirsty organic bamboo cotton soakers. One soaker is attached while the other is detachable. Both the soakers together can last 7-8+ hours. This is therefore excellent for heavy wetting babies or for night-time cloth diapering. You can check out and buy Superbottoms Plus here and read more about them here.
Typically, we suggest Cover Diapers for day-time diapering and Superbottoms Plus for night-time diapering.
DIAPER AND SIZE
- Each Cloth Diaper comes with sizing snaps on the front
- These snaps enable you to reduce / increase size of the outer cover
There are typically 2 sizes –
- NEWBORN SIZE: Fits babies from 3-7 kg. You can see them here
- FREE SIZE / ONE SIZE: Fits babies from 5-17 kg. you can see them here
We recommend that babies upto 5-6 kg, use newborn size diapers and then free size diapers.
Washing cloth diapers is simple and easy. Cloth diapers can be washed like regular garments in machine or by hand. Use regular detergents such as Surf / Tide and not liquid detergents containing conditioners / fabric softeners or fragrances. These additives can cling to the fabric affecting absorbency and also irritating baby’s delicate skin. The diapers can also be dried in machine.
Steps to washing cloth diapers:
1. Remove poop if any from the diapers using a jet spray or any high force water stream
2. You may not rinse diapers that have only been peed in
3. Wash the diapers like regular garments in washing machine or handwash them
4. Use regular detergent like surf and tide. Do not use detergents with enzymes or fabric conditioners
5. You can spin dry the diapers in machine if you want
6. Sun drying is ideal (do not sun the covers too much, it may damage elastics)
7. You don’t need to soak the diapers before washing. If you want, a 30 minute soak is good enough
8. Do not let the water temperature exceed 40 degrees while washing or drying
How do I store soiled diapers till wash?
1. Ideally remove poop if any and rinse pooped in diapers before storing
2. Peed in diapers may be kept without rinsing (ideally rinsing is recommended)
3. Store the used and rinsed diapers in a covered bucket but aerated place
4. You can do a wash each day or alternate day
5. DO NOT soak the rinsed diapers for more than 30 minutes as it can damage the fabric fibres
6. If you are traveling, keep the used diapers in a sealed bag – a wet bag is a good option for this. If not a wet bag, use any good waterproof bag with a proper tight closure
Cloth Diapering is a brilliant option for your baby’s diapering needs. It, however, does take some getting used to. We, at Superbottoms, are committed to simplifying cloth diapering to take it to all the babies in India. It is a great choice both for your child and the environment.
Cloth diapers come in various features such as double leak-guards, square tabs, tummy strips for tummy sleeping babies, pocket flaps etc. Each small feature can make a huge difference to your baby’s comfort and your cloth diapering experience. Choose the right cloth diaper.
If you have any queries about Cloth Diapering and Cloth Diapers in India, you can also go through our FAQs or reach out to us at +91 98193 13426 anytime on call / Whatsapp or write to us here. We will be happy to help you. Always.
Happy diapering to you
Are you a part of our Facebook group Superbottoms Family? It is great place to interact with other Cloth Diapering parents and get first hand experience and insights about it. Join it now! Link to group – here
Take the below short quiz to check which diaper would be best suited for you.