5 things to know to begin with Cloth Diapering
Cloth diapers are an excellent choice for the new age conscientious parents. In fact, Cloth Diapering has been mentioned as a key trend in millennial parenting by none other than Vogue. While a popular parenting choice abroad, Cloth Diapering is now coming into the limelight in India and for all the right reasons. With their chemical-free nature and eco-friendly qualities, these reusable nappies are certainly becoming a preferred choice for most parents. Not to mention the fact that they look super cool on baby bums! If you are exploring the option of Cloth Diapering for your baby, these are the few key points that should help you start. So, here are 5 basic things to know for you to start with Cloth Diapering – Superbottoms endeavors to take Cloth Diapering to all mothers of India. We continue to do our best to spread awareness about them.
Here are 5 basic things to know for you to start with Cloth Diapering –
1. DIAPER PARTS
Each advanced cloth diaper is made up of 3 parts
- Waterproof Outer – This provides the leak-proofing and sizing
- Soaker – These are the absorbent cloth pads that do the job of soaking. They are also called as cloth diaper inserts.
- Dry-Feel Fabric – These provide the essential dry-feel to the babies
2. TYPES OF DIAPERS
There are a few different types of diapers depending upon the pattern / functionality of the diaper.
- Cover Diapers The dry-feel layer in this diaper is attached ON the soaker. This soaker is placed inside the cover. This is a pad-and-pant system. In this, you can change soaker and reuse the outer. This makes it an economical diapering choice. One pad lasts 3-4 hours. This is a good and economical option for day-time diapering. Since each time a fresh pad comes in contact with your baby’s skin it is also good for baby’s skin
- All in One Diaper (Superbottoms Plus) – These are diapers wherein one soaker is stitched inside the outer itself making it easy to wear. This diaper comes with 2 super thirsty organic bamboo cotton soakers. One soaker is attached while the other is detachable. Both the soakers together can last 7-8+ hours. This is therefore excellent for heavy wetting babies or for night-time cloth diapering. You can check out and buy Superbottoms Plus here and read more about them here.
You can watch a video on different types here
Typically, we suggest Cover Diapers for day-time diapering and Superbottoms Plus for night-time diapering.
- Any good quality cloth diaper costs between 700-900 for the outer and the soaker.
- Each of these washable nappies lasts the baby for 2.5 years and more.
- The total diapering costs with cloth diapers can be 70-80% lower than that with disposable diapering. More on costing here.
For beginners you can choose either of the types or go for a starter pack. You can see them here.
4. DIAPER AND SIZE
- Each Cloth Diaper comes with sizing snaps on the front
- These snaps enable you to reduce / increase size of the outer cover
There are typically 2 sizes –
- NEWBORN SIZE: Fits babies from 3-7 kg. You can see them here
- FREE SIZE / ONE SIZE: Fits babies from 5-17 kg. you can see them here
We recommend that babies upto 5-6 kg, use newborn size diapers and then free size diapers.
Washing cloth diapers is simple and easy. Cloth diapers can be washed like regular garments in machine or by hand. Use regular detergents such as Surf / Tide and not liquid detergents containing conditioners / fabric softeners or fragrances. These additives can cling to the fabric affecting absorbency and also irritating baby’s delicate skin. The diapers can also be dried in machine.
Cloth Diapering is a brilliant option for your baby’s diapering needs. It, however, does take some getting used to. We, at Superbottoms, are committed to simplifying cloth diapering to take it to all the babies in India. It is a great choice both for your child and the environment.
Cloth diapers come in various features such as double leak-guards, square tabs, tummy strips for tummy sleeping babies, pocket flaps etc. Each small feature can make a huge difference to your baby’s comfort and your cloth diapering experience. Choose the right cloth diaper.
If you have any queries about Cloth Diapering and Cloth Diapers in India, you can also go through our FAQs or reach out to us at +91 98193 13426 anytime on call / Whatsapp or write to us here. We will be happy to help you. Always.
Happy diapering to you
Would you like to sign up for a cloth diapering buddy? Our buddies are cloth diapering parents who have been successfully using cloth diapers for their little ones. They love to help other parents with cloth diapering. If you wish to connect with one, click here